Friday, July 25, 2008

motherhood

Yesterday we did some major baby stuff shopping.
I haven't ever been a fan of anything pink but I have to admit it's growing on me. As Matt and I looked at bedding, I surprised myself by liking a lot more of the old fashioned very traditional pink stuff as opposed to the more modern stuff. (Then again the more modern stuff was organic and much more expensive).
It's hard to believe in just a little over a month there will be a little baby wearing all these cute clothes, sleeping in the newly decorated crib (thanks again for the crib Jeff & Jenn), and using all the diapers we have been stocking up on for months. Even with the constant kicking of this little person inside me, it still seems surreal that I will be a mom soon. I think about motherhood a lot.
It was 6 years ago yesterday that my mom passed away. So shopping for baby stuff and preparing to be a mom yesterday seemed especially significant. In the last 7 months I have learned to appreciate my mom on a whole different level. The morning sickness, the leg cramps, the long nights of tossing and turning searching for a position that will be comfortable for more than 5 minutes, the baby kicking, little feet and legs inserting themselves beneath my ribs, the decreased bladder control, the anticipation of this little person has all heighten my love for my own mother. I am sure an even deeper level of love and adoration will develop after our little baby is born. But for now I am just in awe of my mother and all the mothers out there who go through so much to bring these little people into the world.
Woman are amazing! There are so many woman I admire and my mom tops that list. My mom was amazing. Her death was completely unexpected and hasn't been easy to deal with. She was one of those people who makes you feel so comfortable and like you're her best friend. She was my best friend. Even through those teen years where most teens are embarrassed and hate their moms, I loved hanging out with my mom. I really could go on and on about the amazing woman she is but it's getting too hard to type with the tears streaming down my face (darn pregnancy hormones), so in closing when I start getting too worried about motherhood I just think about what a good example I had and if I can be half the mother she was, I think our baby will be alright. Thanks mom!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I sure miss your lil' "Scorpion Queen". I'm grateful for the short time I was able to spend with her. I had so much fun hanging out with her on the porch swing and battling it out in rummy. Oh and the Tupperware...the prom dress... I could go on and on.

You are guaranteed success if you surround yourself in pink, you can't get more maternal than that. You will be fantastic!

Jonesy said...

That was a fantastic post. Mom's are amazing. Its too bad most of us don't realize it until we've moved on ourselves and gotten "our own life". I know you will be a fantastic mother.

P.S. I agree with your friend. You ARE guaranteed success if you surround yourself with pink!!!

Natalie said...

Your mom truly was amazing Camille! I can't say that I "Loved" you mom because I still do love her. She was a great person who was kind to everyone, a friend to everyone, and willing to help the world no matter the cost. I know she is very proud of you and excited for you to be a mom!
Love you Camille! You are going to an amazing mom also!

family said...

I am so excited for you both and can't wait to see all you do with the babies room and all the cute clothes etc you buy for her. You are going to have so much fun! Lots of work but so much fun! Love you guys!!!!!

family said...

Camille, your mom sounded amazing and I am so gratefulweo have the gospel and know she will be watching over you and you will all be together again! I am sure you will be just as amazing as a mom. I am so happy for you!

Leanne said...

I loved hanging out with your mom too. She was my second mom, and will always be such.

I remember one time I missed kindergarten because I threw up in your bathroom when we were getting ready to walk to school, remember? I spent the whole day at your house and your mom acted like I was her own child. But she always treated me like that. Especially when we were bad and she spanked us, it didn't hurt and we laughed so hard and she started laughing with us!

When I got my wedding dress and I was surprised that she wanted pictures of me in it when I was just showing it to you all and not "done up" at all. Sounds dumb but it meant a lot. I could go on and on, I'll try not to!

When I was prego for the first time, and every time actually I am still in awe. My mom had six of us, with no epidurals!!!

I've known you almost my whole life and there is no doubt in my mind that you will be a fantastic mother!

Megs said...

You are truly blessed! I am so excited for you and Matt!